For those of you following the saga of the ’67 El Camino, we have the final installment.  this build took a while….   If you check out some of the other material we’ve posted you’ll recall that this was a very challenging build.  We started out with a badly damaged (due to rust) body shell and a lot of missing parts.  The car had been through a couple of  shops before it came to us and each stop seemed to take it backward, not forward.  Before it went to the first shop it was a complete, running driving car.  All that was left when we started were some remnants.  The car is finished, back in the owner’s hands and truly stunning.   We though the best way  to wrap up this story is with a series of before and after pictures.

This is the car shell the first time I saw it and a similar pose in the finished state.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When we got the car, the drip rails and roof edge were essentially rusted out.  We used that as an opportunity to smooth out the entire area.  We removed the drip rails and created some new body lines to blend into the c-pillar.  Being a 1967 car, it also had vent windows.  The originals were in rough shape and we couldn’t find reproduction parts to repair them.  Our solution was to convert the car to one-piece side glass.  It really cleans up the lines of the car and we don’t have to worry about leaks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When we go the car it had a high performance 396 from another vehicle, just wedged between the frame rails.  The owner wanted a clean engine compartment with a smoothed firewall, clean inner fenders and minimal hoses and wires showing.  He also wanted air conditioning but didn’t want to see it.  It took some effort but we achieved the goals.  To hide the AC system we used components from a modern street-rod kit and hid everything in the fenders and under the dash.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We started off with very little of the interior.  The owner wanted a combination of modern and retro while maintaining a clean, uncluttered look.  We updated the instrument cluster with modern gauges, created some new filler panels, installed a new tilt column and steering wheel, new seats, a modern stereo that looks vintage, a Chevelle center console and lots of sound deadening and carpet padding.  The car was originally a column shifted automatic with a bench seat.   We converted it to a 5-speed manual with buckets.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here’s a shot of the rear.  The back end of the car was a mess when we got it.  With no reproduction steel parts available we had to build the new sections by hand.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here’s a before and after front view.  It’s hard to see in the photo but the hood stripes are painted matte black with a red pin-stripe surround.  Other trim pieces were also done in matte-black.  There’s a complimentary red pin strip on the wheel faces too.  The more you look at the car, the more custom touches you find.


 

 

 

 

 

 

Some final shots of the car.  No bed liner for this show car.  We make the undersides look nice too ! With tubular suspension, coil-over upgrades, a nasty motor, five speed manual and hydraulic clutch system, you can believe this car performs as well as it looks.